Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Wow, what a day! After so many days of overcast mornings we woke to a glorious sunny morning. Gideon blessed us with good sleep last night skipping his 3AM feeding and snoozing until after 5AM. We were up pretty late since yesterday was my nieces' dance recital so we didn't get to bed until after midnight but that's still 5 hours of consecutive sleep - yoohoo! But I digress.

We had a good morning and afternoon with church and a yummy lunch at home. Then a miracle occurred! Zion went down for nap as did Gideon and Gabe and Rob settled down to play Kingdom Hearts II on the Playstation2. While all other members of the family were occupied with their individual "tasks" I went shopping. Yes, I, a mother of three children ages 4 and under went to the grocery store - alone. I can't actually remember the last time that happened. It was glorious. I told the cashier to take her time. I bought a chocolate covered cherry candy bar and ate it in the car reveling in the sunny day and listening to non-kid music and didn't have to share my treat. Wait. I thought this was Father's Day.

So back home I go where I eventually start working on a special dinner for Rob. I make Parmesan crusted chicken breasts, green salad with homemade mandarin vinaigrette, crispy green beans with wasabi cucumber ranch dipping sauce, and bread (not homemade) with rosemary olive oil dipping sauce, also homemade. Half way through I had to stop and nurse Gideon but things went very smoothly considering this was the first "big" meal that I've made in a long time. It helped that Rob kept the kids busy upstairs putting together part of Gabe's new bunkbed. For now it's just the bottom bed and we still need to get a mattress that fits it correctly. Someday the boys can share though that is more than a few months down the road. Zion will inherit Gabe's toddler bed which is currently in her room but she'll stay in her crib for a while longer.

Normally, I would make a special desert for Rob. He loves blueberries and I don't so much so usually when a Rob-centered holiday comes around I make blueberry cobbler or lemon-blueberry cake or some such thing. This year he suggested that we make it easier and go out for desert. We drove by Cold Stone Creamery but the line was practically out the door so we moved on to Old School Frozen Custard (which is quickly becoming our favorite place to go for a special treat) and ordered The Principal. Five yummy scoops of frozen custard, covered with hot fudge, caramel, Snickers pieces (those three being our choice), almonds and over a brownie and banana pieces. The scoops aren't huge and the four of us who actually eat solids finish it off in no time. The perfect conclusion to a wonderful day. I hope that your Father's Day was just as fun.

No comments: