Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened

My sister, the kids and I collected sea shells while we were at the beach remembering Grandma. Jamie thought it would be cool to use them to decorate stepping stones so on the way home we stopped by a craft store and bought the supplies. The next afternoon we got to work mixing the cement and filling the molds. Now here's the funny thing. I was tapping my mold to get the air out and somehow, I still don't know how, the cement splashed. It splashed and it splooshed and it sent a little glob right into my eye. Luckily I was only a few steps away from my sister's kitchen sink and was able to rinse my eye out immediately but not before my eye was wounded. Whether it was merely abraded or if I received a chemical burn (more likely because cement is caustic) I don't know but I ended up with a very red, ouchy eye for about five days. It was silly, I felt stupid, I also felt really annoyed that the directions that came with the stepping stone kits didn't actually warn a person to take precautions against this. So be warned - if you make these stones, wear protective eye wear! (End of Public Service Announcement.) At least the end result was pretty and now resides in my rose garden. Gabe was happy to demonstrate how well it does work as a stepping stone.

No comments: