Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Don't Lick Your Screen

You may want to when you read my post but it's really not a good idea. I read a recipe for "Potachos" on an e-newsletter that I get from Kraft Foods. I like their website because their recipes are simple and usually only require foods that I have on hand. In this case I made a couple of changes. Instead of regular Kettle Chips I used Ranch flavored wavy potato chips. I piled on the cheddar cheese, nuked it, sprinkled on bacon bits (omitted green onions, didn't have 'em, and tomatoes, don't like 'em) and added a dollop of sour cream. The resulting American version of nachos tasted like deep fried baked potatoes with all the fixin's. Fabulous!

Then I was perusing a kid's cookbook that my sis passed on to us and was inspired by a recipe for chicken noodle soup. A little later I was blog-surfing and found another recipe for chicken noodle soup. So I do what I do and I took what sounded good from both and made up my own. I'll share it with you, pretty basic and easy.

Boil about 4-5 cups of water. See, I told you it was easy. Add about 4 teaspoons of bouillon (or 4 cubes). Chop up a few stalks of celery, a couple handfuls of baby carrots and what's left of an onion that needs to be used up before it melts in the drawer (oh wait, maybe that's just me that has that in the fridge) and add that to the liquid. Add a scoop of minced garlic (since Rob left and I don't cook so much I've taken to keeping a jar of garlic in the fridge instead of fresh, I'll go back later). Whether your scoop resembles a teaspoon or tablespoon is completely up to your personal preference (or your spouses if you ever want to be kissed again - mine is thousands of miles away so guess which I picked). I also added about a half teaspoon of white pepper. You could do black but use less then. Set the pot to simmer and add your favorite pasta (or rice I suppose) and let it go another 15 minutes or so. About 1 -2 minutes before it's done add chicken in the form of your choice and about a tablespoon of roux (butter and flour mashed together) to thicken. I chopped up a chicken breast and cooked it real quick but just about anything will work. The results were super yummy.


I thought that some biscuits would go nicely with the soup so I grabbed the can of biscuits out of the fridge. I don't normally do canned biscuits for actual biscuits and I think these ones knew that because they started whispering sweet nothings in my ear (not really in case you're starting to worry about my sanity) so they became dessert instead. One of my bread pan's bottom got lined with chopped walnuts, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Then I cut up the biscuits and put down a layer and sprinkled it with cinnamon and sugar. I repeated that step until the biscuits were gone and then then baked at 350 for about 25 minutes. Gabe, Zion and I have already finished off half the loaf - oh so good! I think I'll need to throw in another work out this week!

No comments: