Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Letting Go

It can be a little tough sometimes, dontcha think?  When you create something it’s a little like giving birth.  Sometime cutting the apron strings can be difficult.  In this case giving it was such a joy it wasn’t all that hard.

You may recall the lace shawl I started a while back?  I started calling it my Heart Attack Shawl because while knitting one night one of my needles slid out abandoning a few dozen stitches to open air.  I gasped and I don’t think I breathed again until I’d picked up the stitches and made all the necessary corrections to get them back as they needed to be.

I finished the shawl at least a month ago, maybe more and all I needed to do was block it so I could give it to the intended recipient.  Blocking.  It sounds so simple doesn’t it?  I confess that I don’t particularly enjoy blocking.  I love the end result which turns an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan, but the process is a pain. 

But the sweet lady I wanted to give the shawl to was coming for tea today so I couldn’t put it off any longer.  It was worth it let me just say.

All pinned out after soaking, rinsing and rolling in a towel:

HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4150

Close ups of edges, body and spine:

HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4152

HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4156HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4157HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4161HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4163HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4167

The complete finished shawl:

HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4169HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4174

HeartAttackShawlAug92011-4179

And my dear, sweet friend.  Red really is her color.

HeartAttackShawlSandyAug92011-4190

I’m glad the yarn told me who this shawl needed to be for but it’s a good thing I have so many projects in the works still or I might have a broken heart after saying good bye to my Heart Attack Shawl.

No comments: