Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pretzel Recipe

Here's the recipe that we used for pretzels the other day. Easy and yummy (though I recommend eating them right away or storing them air tight!), it's from www.cookingcache.com (though I found it just by googling "pretzel letters")

ABC Pretzels
  • 1 package dry yeast
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 tablespoon
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 2 cups flour (unbleached) white, wheat or a combination
  • 1 egg
Directions
  1. 5 minutes before beginning, mix the yeast and water together
  2. preheat oven to 425, pour flour and sugar into bowl and mix
  3. add a pinch of kosher salt and mix
  4. add water and yeast mixture, mix and form into a ball (I had to add a smidge extra water, don't worry if it's a little sticky because when you roll it out on to the floured surface you can use that flour to "unsticky" it)
  5. generously sprinkle flour on to counter or cutting board
  6. place dough on flour and roll with rolling pin for about 5 minutes
  7. roll dough into long pencil-like coils, then shape into various letters (having made these, I would make them thicker, but that's how I like my pretzels)
  8. brush dough with beaten egg
  9. sprinkle with salt or cinnamon and sugar (some of these I baked, then brushed with melted butter and THEN applied the seasoning)
  10. bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown
  11. eat!

2 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Ooooo. Thanks! I didn't even get to say anything to you at Azteca, we were so far away - So hello!

My Three Sons said...

That looks great. I have two kiddo's that love pretzels and I can't wait to make this with them.