Thursday, September 3, 2009

On Tuesday we had the joy and privilege of seeing Gabe off on his first day of Kindergarten. Gabe has been waiting to ride a school bus since he first new what one was. He's been counting school buses that pass us when we're driving around for years now and asking which one is his. I am hoping that he will still love school as much once the newness of riding the bus has worn off.
All ready to go. Back pack. Check. New shirt. Check. New jeans. Check. Old shoes that barely fit because he's been wearing sandals all summer and we didn't realize he'd outgrown all of his shoes nice shoes. um ... check?

He even let me gel his hair a little. OK. So what I really mean to say is that I actually remembered to gel his hair a little. (I even had to go buy hair gel.)


The school asks that parents put their kids on the bus the first day then drive to the school to meet the bus, help them find their class and get them settled. The bus stop is a around a couple of corners (lucky us, the school district had to make cut backs so they no longer have bus stops in neighborhoods, so we have to walk a ways) so I drove us down. That way I could just hop in the car and head right to the school after he boarded the bus. Wouldntcha know it started to rain right after we pulled up to the stop in the car wiping out any doubt of which state we live in. Luckily I had thought to grab him a jacket and I was even able to spot an umbrella in the car (the umbrella being for my camera of course) so we waited outside in the rain.


And there goes my baby. Just like that. He doesn't even look back.


And *poof* just like that, he's back.


It had stopped raining so I surprised him by bringing his bike down.


Home again, home again, jiggity jig.

Tonight at bedtime I asked him what his favorite part of school was and he said "my teacher". Very cool.



1 comment:

My Three Sons said...

I remember Coltan's first day. I was crying like a baby. Cody, well for some reason I wasn't AS upset.

Looks like he had a really great day. I hope he continues to like school. It sure makes it easier. I have one that loves to go and one that I have to fight everyday. You shall see one day when you have a couple more in school. LOL