Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pregnancy Update

I SO expected to be giving a grand report of how my ultrasound went today! Oh my, I was so ready since the placenta had nearly moved far enough out of the way the last time and a few weeks ago the baby had turned head down and things just really seemed to be lining up.

Alas, it is not to be so. :( I'm so bummed. The placenta is clearly too close to the cervix to risk a vaginal birth. The baby has turned breech again and now has the cord wrapped around his/her neck. I'm not overly concerned about that last bit, it happens. The baby is too big for the doctor to see how the cord attachment looks. The big IS really big. Still running about 2 weeks and 3 days ahead which puts him/her at 9lb 11oz. I'm very excited to hear that. At least one thing we were told was a concern (the cord condition causing growth restriction) is not a worry.

It seems that it is pretty much final. No water birth for me. No natural birth. No vaginal birth period. I haven't had a chance to talk to my midwife yet so I don't know all the details yet as far as the plan, likely tomorrow I'll know more.

Keep praying for us. I told God that I would trust He would have this baby born in the way that s/he needs to be for health and safety but it's still very disappointing to me. It's like I've planned for the last nine months to vacation at the Ritz and ended up at a Holiday Inn. Still a vacation, but not near what I'd imagined and hoped.

And not only for my peace and mourning my hopes for this baby's birth but also because c-sections carry such a higher risk. People tend to be rather cool about them these days because they happen so commonly but that doesn't mean they are risk free. I'm not afraid, not assuming something WILL go wrong but I'm not naive to the problems with breathing and breastfeeding not to mention risks for the mom who is being cut open as well as other draw backs.

I will, of course, keep filling you in as I know more. Thanks for your prayers so far. They have meant a lot.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I'm praying for you, hopefully after talking to your midwife, she'll be more positive...there is a chance, still...right? Miracles do happen!
{hugs}