Saturday, September 8, 2012

First Days of School

Yes, first dayS, because Gideon and Gabe started school on Wednesday and Zion started today, Friday.  I did not want school to start or summer to come to a close (though it was about 90 degrees today so our summer is in no way over with).  I love having my kids at home.  Alas, the dayS came. 

First came time to drop off my sweet Gideon.  I was not sure that he would let me, he is my homebody, preferring to hunker down with a show or toy than go anywhere – ever!  But he did well.  All morning Zion had been coaching him on what to expect since she went there last year.  What a great big sis!

So here we are, about to enter the school…and he’s more interested in eyeing the playground behind me.

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4665FirstDayOfSchool2012-4667

Then he needs to sign in.  Our summer was so nuts we didn’t do much teaching at home so I brought my highlighter, wrote his name and he wrote over it.  I was surprised today at how many letters he was already able to do today, his second day, even though I didn’t write it out first.

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4669

Then Zion showed him where to put his back pack and where to find a toy and he was all ready for me to leave.  Just like that. *sigh*

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4672

I had no time for emotions, I had one more to get to school this morning.  So home we went and I packed Gabe’s lunch complete with a special note and a little pack of Smarties candy. 

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4674

I’m not yet sure if I feel we are lucky in that we are living with the “walking zone”, I’d much rather a bus pick them up, but walking isn’t so bad (though most days I will drive them). 

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4678FirstDayOfSchool2012-4682

He allowed me just a couple of pictures and then said “I have it from here, Mom.”  Why do they have to grow up so fast?  *sniff*

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4685

On the way home Zion has to climb and have her picture taken. 

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4687

And I take a shot of random grass.  I love Fall (except for sending my kids back to school).

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4689

Fast forward to Friday and I’ve got three to get to school.  Zion starts Kindergarten today, Gideon has a second day of PreK (he goes three days a week for 2 1/2 hours) and Gabe has his third day of third grade.  First, Gabe and Zion and Gideon wants in on Zion’s photo so we do a silly one first.

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4700

Then just Zion in her sassy outfit.

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4702

Then we go find her classroom, where to put her bag and her desk.  She has been looking forward to this for years.  I might have cried if I wasn’t trying to keep Elias wrangled.  He is a good distraction.

FirstDayOfSchool2012-4708

And before we knew it we’d survived our first week of school.  Liked it even.  Today I went shopping with only one child while the other three were at school.  I guess there is a benefit or two to sending the kids off to school.  Maybe.

No comments: